A walk in my shoes....

Monday, December 31, 2007

Christmas Letter

Happy Holidays everyone! I hope this letter finds you and yours in great health and an abundance of happiness. This year for us has been nothing if not eventful. So many things to say and talk about, I only wonder how I’m going to keep it to one page. It wasn’t but a few years ago when I started writing the Christmas letter that I was pressed to find things to talk about and yet here I am finding I have to take out of the letter to keep it readable. Wish me luck and here we go.

The beginning of the year Sarah and I took a cruise to the Western Caribbean, we went Cave Tubing in Belize, snorkeled with Stingrays in Grand Cayman, Dove again in Costa Maya, Mexico, and I must say that the water is unbelievably clear and warm. Finally we also went to Isla Roatan a small island off the coast of Honduras and did some diving there as well. I never realized we were the diving type, but there are so many beautiful things to see that we had to do it. We met lots of great people and had a great time. The plan also was to start trying to have a baby after it was over; I was pretty thrilled about that as well. I couldn’t wait, Sarah on the other hand had other ideas as to how to prevent baby from happening, at least so soon. However, it turns out she couldn’t hold out like she thought. Bad for her, good for me.

Which leads us into big event number two for the year, Pregnancy. It’s something Sarah and I have been talking about for years. We have been trying to wait for a good time, and by “WE”, I mean Sarah. I’ve had the baby itch for a few years now and I knew it would be a matter of convincing her it was a good idea. So we talked about it and decided after the cruise would be a great idea, this way we both could drink on the cruise and not worry about being pregnant then. We were concerned if only lightly, that it would take a few months of trying before we got pregnant. I however, was dedicated to get the job done as it’s an effort I don’t mind contributing to. I say we got pregnant lightly because really it’s “Shake and Bake and I Helped!” Turns out that being off the pill a month was all it took to get her insides back together. Sarah took a pregnancy test the morning of April the 1st, and came in the bedroom to wake and inform me that she was pregnant. Now I know that I’ve wanted a baby for what seems like forever, but this is a cruel April Fools Joke if ever there was one. But the pregnancy test said “Pregnant”. It was one of those digital jobbies that leaves no question or doubt. There is no Plus or Minus half there or not, this is the digital age. It just said pregnant. PREGNANT! It’s amazing how one word can change your entire outlook on life. So now, how are we going to tell everyone on April Fools Day? So, many a phone call later the answers were similar across quite a few of them, call back tomorrow, we’ll believe you then. So the month of April was quite the emotional high. Little did we know there is no Ying without a Yang.

Yang for us came on May 9th. I was diagnosed with Gastric Cancer. Quite the shocker for us let me tell you. My goal throughout the entire ordeal was to stay positive and strong, not just for me but for Sarah as well. I couldn’t have her stressing about me, because it might cause issues with the baby. So I did my best to just play it off. Chemotherapy sucks, surgery was a breeze, so easy I slept through it, they took 2/3rds of my esophagus, and 1/3rd of my stomach, minor issues after but nothing worth mentioning. After surgery was some more chemotherapy sucks and now I’m in remission. Lord willing it won’t be back. That’s my cancer story in a wicked tiny nutshell. I want to put here in the letter my thanks for all of you who helped out or sent prayers and well wishes our way during this difficult time, also thank you to all who bought and wore the Livestrong wristband, I’ll wear mine as long as they make them. It was because of you and through you all that I was able to stay strong and positive as we overcame this horrible disease.

The best part comes next. November 28th brought the birth of our new little girl Sedona Rae Fredrick. Thankfully the pregnancy was uncomplicated as could possibly be, and for that reason alone Sarah just loved being pregnant. 10 hours of labor and 3 hours of pushing later she was born. Sarah mentioned not too long ago that she can’t believe we waited this long to have a baby. Now she wants more, not just another one mind you but now she wants six. I don’t know that she’s serious about six, but I know that’s a bit too many even for me. Four may be my limit. So Sarah wanting more is good for me because here in a year or so I’ll be ready for the next one. Gotta keep’em coming I say. Keep them in diapers and we’ll be all set. All that being said, Sedona has been a blessing and quite the exclamation point to the end of this exceptional year. It’s amazing to watch her develop before our eyes.

And now, this is a shameless plug for my blog, check it out if you can or if you’d like. Its kind of its own deal for this year. A little more in depth and not updated as often as I’d like, not for a lack of time but often for laziness. If you’re interested please feel free to leave comments and I’ll do my best to accommodate any wishes. Stay tuned as I’ll be posting a video of pictures from the entire year set to some music in an awesome slideshow on New Year’s Eve. Check it out at www.whattoexpect1207.blogspot.com

So this year has been nothing if not an emotional rollercoaster, filled with fun ups and scary downs through the dark tunnel of the unknown. Whatever the case it’s part of that never ending ride called life, do with it what you will because it is what you make it. Sarah, Sedona and I want to wish you the very best of Holidays and heres to wishing you a wonderful New Year.

No comments: